Initial rototilling of this unproductive higher ground bordering 2nd Street was in May, but I did not plant until end of July after rototilling again, using an arena groomer, broadcasting, then using a compactor. This Pearl Millet is to be a cover crop, fertilized (N + K), then tilled before planting a 2nd cover crop end of September. It is supposed to be able to produce 2 tons per acre in 60 days. We shall see....
Two tons of grass hay from Jarrod here, adding to the 4 we already had from him - the last bales of the year to be stored at our place. We also got 4 tons of 2nd cutting alfalfa and 7 tons of grass from Laban (stored generously by Scott because our barn was cancelled for the year), and 7 tons of 2nd cutting alfalfa and several tons of grass hay from Rusty (also stored by him). Niko's crop of triticale was not clean enough for dairy use, though he had planted it for us and another dairy; the Dog Fennel/Mayflower Camomile invaded. Huge bummer! Overall, we are so grateful for the covered storage.
Thanks so much to the Mills for their extravaganza and food! Many of last year's fireworks were lit this year because last year was so dry, but the wet June made this year's festivities lower risk and way fun.
Josh: Founder, father