We poured concrete cylinders underneath the four big posts, and with a lot of two by sixes we made a pretty deck with Trex decking. Eventually we put a railing up on the top part, and the upstairs leads out onto the deck with a beautiful view.
We poured the south facing wall's foundation before Jamin White had spray foamed the rest of the crawlspace. This foundation part was our first big pouring concrete job and it was not perfect. We had several leaks, and it took much longer than expected, but eventually we got it done!
Dad and Papa built a 'concrete directing' machine that would pour directly into the form of the foundation. The dug out trench, as shown in the first picture, was impossible to pour from, so this elongated contraption, with the mixer sitting up on the bank, was very handy.
After two long years, the digging under the house is completed! We were close, but were running out of time. It took the renting of a Hilti TE 1000- AVR hammer drill for a day, and with the whole family working together, we powered through the hard clay and got it done! Soon after it's completion, Jamen White of Energy Lock Spray Foam came and sprayed Spray Foam insulation under the house.
After three solid days of organizing, the utility trailer is fully organized by category: electrical, plumbing, woodworking, painting, mechanics, etc. This is the first time in two years of work demo'ing and constructing house and outbuildings that all the tools are in one place. Further, with about 40 drawers (two former display cabinets from Moscow Building Supply and two Craftsman toolchests), it is easier to access them than ever. Pictured below, Isaiah managed to sort through thousands of screws, bolts, etc. and sort by size/type into the two new little bolt holders. The inside of the house is still a mess, but at least I know where to find a hammer....
As many know, moving into a house before it is complete produces chaos. Add to that farm chores/mess, and new heights of chaos can be achieved.
Our first experiment in whole property rotational grazing has had fine results. By leading with the two milk cows and following with the two yearlings, we had around 3 weeks of grazing per paddock (each around 1/8th of available 6 acres). This allowed them to eat it down to the point that the Little Buck, under-powered though it be, could flail mow it. The results were very satisfactory, with mulch shading regrowth for the hotter months. We are anxious to get the larger sprinklers going, but for now, we will definitely be able to re-graze after 2 months. Ignore the foreground weeds and dirt, parts of under-house excavation.
What to do when an 8 and 10 year old want to do a lawn business? Perhaps they can push a mower everywhere, but where do the clippings go? This '90's Honda garden tractor with hydrostatic drive may be just the thing. It starts and drives like a Cadillac but needs a mower belt drive clutch plate. Combine this with a small dumping utility trailer to produce a push mower + weed eater + clippings carrying + passengers mowing business.
At the community wide garage sale, we heard that the other lawn guy just quit, and there's a need.
At 4' x 8' x 2.5', this box will hopefully be big enough for incoming packages, a secure cash payment slot, and several pick-up slots for packages or products being sold. The current plan is to have 6 compartments for outgoing and one large compartment for incoming goods.
It was a high priority because we could not receive packages, even at the post office, or so we thought. Then after not having the box finished in time, two Amazon packages were delivered to the front door.... This post will be updated with final pictures when it is complete.
Josh: Founder, father